Hiring: Farmers Market Manager
MOUNT HOPE FARMERS MARKET – MARKET MANAGER POSITION:
The Mount Hope Farm, in Bristol, RI, is looking to fill the position of Market Manager to oversee the operation and administration of its year-round Saturday farmers market. This is a part time, year-round position. The average time commitment is 12-18 hrs a week, though actual distribution of hours will vary seasonally.
The Market Manager oversees all aspects of ongoing market operations, and works in coordination with Mount Hope Farm to ensure a smooth and successful weekly market. They are responsible for on-site logistics, vendor & application management, market outreach & communications, coordination of market-related events & volunteers, and market accounting & record-keeping. The Market Manager is the primary interface with the market’s vendors, customers, and the community at large. This is a job for someone who is organized, friendly, self-motivated, and deeply committed to supporting local food and agriculture here in Rhode Island.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Market Logistics/Operations:
- Oversee and execute market setup/break down
- Staff the Market Table, greet customers, answer questions, resolve issues
- Administrate market Debit/Credit/EBT token system
- Vendor Communications & Relations:
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with vendors
- Monitor vendor’s market operations, provide orientation and training
- Market Application Process & Vendor Data Management:
- Release market application & manage vendor applications/paperwork/fees in Manage My Market database
- Conduct farm inspections/verify and ensure quality standards of potential market applicants
- Maintain accurate records and reports of vendor accounts
- Track/report market token currency
- Promotion, Outreach & Communications:
- Manage communications with customers, public & media
- Create advertising plan, promotional materials, strategies to increase traffic and sales
- Promote “Bonus Bucks” FINI programs
- Programming, Events, Partnerships:
- Market entertainment/activities
- Foster relationships with community partners
- Liaison to other organizations, partners, government agencies
- Foster volunteer involvement
- Farmers Market Strategic Planning:
- Set yearly market schedule & calendar
- Evaluate markets strengths and weaknesses, set market priorities towards improvements in logistics outreach/marketing efforts, programming
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent preferred
Desired Skills & Attributes:
- Ability to work independently and without direct supervision/structure. This is an independent contractor position, to manage and direct all aspects of the farmers market for Mount Hope Farm. Market Manager works in coordination with farm staff, but in a self-managed/self-directed way).
- Ability to think creatively, be flexible, and adapt & problem-solve on the fly.
- Ability to develop good team relationships with staff, volunteers, vendors and customers. Must be a good listener and have excellent interpersonal, communication, and conflict-resolution skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail. Some knowledge of financial record keeping and budgeting useful.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (preferably with experience writing & creating content).
- Working knowledge of East Bay and/or Rhode Island community organizations and networks (especially related to food, agriculture, health, community service or the environment) is preferred.
- At least 2 years management experience, including personnel management, budget responsibility, operations management, and experience working with multiple constituencies/stakeholder groups.
- Experience working with the public (experience in retail and/or other customer service experience preferred.)
- Working knowledge of computers and software. Skills should include ability to work with spreadsheets, word processing, document management, web-based communication tools and social media (specifically Google Drive, MailChimp, Facebook/Twitter).
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions cheerfully, and be able to safely lift and carry 40 lbs.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license, and access to vehicle, computer, cell phone and internet access.
- Understanding of local food & agriculture systems; passion for and commitment to supporting local farmers and producers!
Job Structure & Hours:
This is a part time, year-round position. The average time commitment is 15 hrs a week, though actual distribution of hours will vary seasonally. The Market Manager will generally need to be on-site during the Saturday market, but this is an independent contractor position (1099-MISC) and additional work may be done flexibly, off-site, at the discretion of the Manager.
Salary & Compensation:
To be determined based on experience and qualifications.
Please email letter of introduction and resume to: email@example.com. Include “Market Manager Position” in the subject line. (No phone inquires please.)
The Mount Hope Farmers Market is a program of Mount Hope Farm, a 127 acre national historic site in Bristol, RI. Mount Hope Farm is overseen by the Mount Hope Trust, a 501(c)3 nonprofit whose mission is to preserve and protect the integrity of the farm’s natural assets and its historical structures, and make it accessible to all.
The Mission of the Mount Hope Farmers Market is to support the viability of local farms and food-makers and to promote and expand consumers’ access to fresh, local food. We value the role of the market as a community gathering place, and as a forum for sharing knowledge about food, nutrition, cooking, agriculture, food equity, & environmental stewardship.