Becoming a Food Vendor at the Market
THE 2017 SUMMER FARMERS MARKET RUNS from MAY 20th – OCTOBER 27th.
FOR MORE DETAILS AND TO APPLY, CLICK HERE.
GENERAL INFORMATION ON BECOMING A FOOD VENDOR AT THE MOUNT HOPE MARKET:
We strive to create a diverse and balanced market–one that attracts customers and offers breadth/depth of choice, while ensuring profitability for currently participating vendors.
Criteria for Selecting Vendors:
- A commitment to promoting RI Agriculture and the local food system
- Diversity of product (for new applicants, the product must bring variety to the market or fill a demand or gap in the current offerings)
- Available space at the market
- Track record/length of time at market
- Quality of product and of stall display
- Growing/production methods and/or business practices
- Location of operation/production
- Applicant’s access to other retail markets/opportunities
- Applicant’s commitment and contribution to the market’s values of community & collaboration
Farmers, Fisherman & Food Producers:
The majority of food sold has to have been produced by the vendor themselves, though over the course of a season some items (not exceeding 20%) may be bought in from another local RI/MA producer, subject to approval by market management. (The source & location of these items must be clearly labeled.) Items not commercially produced/available locally (i.e. olive oil, citrus) may be allowed at the market at the discretion of the market management.
We require that prepared/processed/artisan food items be produced or processed locally from scratch with high-quality ingredients, and we encourage the use of locally & regionally sourced ingredients whenever possible.
For more information on Farmers Markets in the area and on operating a food business in Rhode Island, we recommend Farm Fresh RI’s Vendor Guide.